Pineapple Chicken Recipe
If you are looking for a nice slow cooked meal for the weekend or evening. This Pineapple chicken recipe is perfect. It reminds me a little of sweet and sour chicken, although it’s pretty healthy.
I wanted a nice chicken recipe that combined the sweetness of pineapple. I also wanted it to be stocked up of vegetables to get all the goodness. By slow cooking this pineapple chicken you can keep all of the flavour into the chicken, making it nice and tender.
The first thing I did was make the sauce that everything will be cooked in. In a bowl place 600ml of pineapple juice along with 2 tablespoons of balsamic glaze. You could replace this with honey but I do like the combination of balsamic with the pineapple. Make sure you do use the glaze for the thickness and sweetness and not balsamic vinegar.
Add 2 tablespoon of brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of dried Oregano, Basil and Tarragon. Add 2 cloves of crushed and chopped garlic. Give everything a good stir and pop it into the slow cooker. Make 500ml of chicken stock and combine this with the pineapple mixture.
This pineapple chicken is close to a stew due to the additional vegetables. In my eyes it really adds some additional flavours and textures to the dish. As well as the additional health benefits of course. I chopped carrots, red and yellow pepper, red onion and added these to the slow cooker along with chopped parsnips. With the carrots and parsnips I would recommend cutting them to be roughly 1 inch long. Any longer than this can it could take longer to cook
Add the pineapples to the slow cooker. I would add more pineapple than you would think to make sure you get that pineapple taste. I added 2 large tins of cubed pineapples and had a nice amount.
Put the chicken thighs in the slow cooker. Keep the skin on and make sure it’s all fully covered by the liquid. If everything is not covered top up with a little chicken stock.
Leave this to cook for 2-3 hours on high or 4-5 hours on low. The timings will vary depending on the heat. I would cook until the vegetables are soft and the chicken is fully cooked.
Once cooked I took the chicken breasts out and popped these skin down on a hot grill. This was to give the skin a nice crisp texture. Whilst the skin is crisping cook some rice in a saucepan as per the instructions on the packaging.
Once the chicken is cooked let it rest while you thicken up the pineapple sauce. To thicken the sauce you want to use some corn flour. Follow the instructions and add a tablespoon with liquid. For the liquid I used some additional pineapple juice. Continue to add until you get you get the thickness you want. I used roughly 4 spoonfuls as there was quite a bit.
Plate up by spooning on the rice, topping with a couple of chicken thighs. Spoon on some of the vegetables and plenty of pineapples and then spoon the sauce over everything…yummy!!
I really like this slow cooked pineapple chicken recipe. It’s easy to make and if you have the time available it really tastes incredible! If you was to do it without a slow cooker, you could even caramelise the pineapples first!
I do hope you liked this recipe. Please do comment below and share with any family or friends that will like this pineapple chicken.
- 600 ml Pineapple Juice concentrated
- 2 tbsp Balsamic Glaze can be replaced with Honey
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1 tsp Dried Tarragon
- 2 Cloves garlic Crushed and chopped
- 500 ml Chicken Stock
- 1 Red Bell Pepper chopped
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper chopped
- 2 Carrots chopped (1 inch in size)
- 2 Parsnips chopped (1 inch in size)
- 1 Large Red Onion chopped
- 2 Large Tins Pineapple Chunks
- 6 Chicken Thights Skin on
- In a bowl add the pineapple juice along with the balsamic glaze
- Add the brown sugar along with the 3 herbs and the garlic
- Give everything a good stir to combine and put into a slow cooker
- Add the chicken stock
- In the slower cooker add the carrots, parsnips, onions and pineapples.
- Give everything a good stir and drop in the chicken thighs
- Cook on low heat for 4-5 hours or high heat for 2-3
- Continue to cook until vegetables are softer and the chicken is fully cooked.
- Once cooked remove the chicken and place skin down on a grill to crisp the skin
- Whilst the chicken skin is cooking heat up the rice as per instructions
- When the chicken is cooked remove and allow to rest
- Combine Corn flour with additional pineapple juice and add to slow cooker to thicken. Continue to add corn flour until you get to your desired thickness.
- Spoon the rice on a plate when cooked, top with chicken and finally add the vegetables and sauce.