Salmon fish cakes are really versatile. They make a nice lunch with a bit of salad but can also be enjoyed as a main dinner with vegetables, roast potatoes or even chips. They do take a little preparation but are very easy to make and taste incredible.
I decided to make this Salmon Fish Cake Recipe as I love salmon, you can however replace it with other fish such as cod.
Salmon Fish Cake Recipe
The first thing you want to do for these Salmon Fish Cakes is to peel and cut the potatoes in quarters and put them on a medium heat in a saucepan with salted water . They want to be cooked close to a mash potato consistency but still have some harder bits. I usually cook them until they are mashable with a fork.
Whilst the potatoes are cooking season the salmon with some salt. Place some oil in a pan and once hot drop the salmon. If the salmon has the skin on then place it skin side down first. Cook for around 4-5 minutes before turning and cooking the other side. Baste the salmon with the oil to help keep the juiciness. The salmon won’t need to long to cook as you just want it to be flaky. I cooked it for around 5 minutes on this side.
Once cooked remove the salmon from the heat and with a fork flake into small chunks. Place the chunks into a bowl. Chop the sun-dried tomatoes so they are roughly 1 inch in size and add this to the salmon. Chop 2 garlic cloves into fine slices and add these to the bowl along with the Oregano, Parsley and the Basil.
I find that lime goes very well with Salmon and really adds some extra flavour to these salmon fish cakes. Zest the lime into the bowl and then squeeze in the juice. Add the tomato ketchup and give it a good mix.
By now the potato should be cooked enough for you to crush with a fork. Remove the potatoes from the heat and empty the water. With a fork crush down onto the potatoes to mash them but ensure to still make sure they are lumpy. Leave them to cool slightly and then mix into the bowl with the salmon.
Give everything a good stir to ensure it is all fully mixed together and then season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Shaping the Salmon Fish Cakes
Get yourself 3 plates or bowls. If you are going to use plates try and get ones that have a bit of a raised sides. On one of them whisk the two eggs, the 2nd add place the flour and the 3rd put the breadcrumbs.
Get a ball of the salmon mixture, depending on the size you want your fish cakes would depend on how big of a handful you get. Mine were fairly big, looking back id probably of done them a bit smaller.
Rotate the mixture in your hand to form a ball and then flatten two sides to form the fish cake shape. Place the salmon fish cake into the egg and then into the flour. Before putting in the breadcrumbs put it back in the egg and the flour for a second time. Cover in breadcrumbs and then place to one side whilst you do the rest.
Heat oil on a medium in a pan and once hot drop the Salmon Fish Cakes and cook until crisp on one side. Flip over to the other side and fry. You will want to cook each side for around 5 minutes or until golden brown and firm.
This Salmon fish cake recipe is really easy and tastes great. Perfect for lunch, dinner or even cook individual ones for a nice starter.
I’d love to hear what you think of this recipe so please do comment below. If you do have any friends that would like this recipe please share it, i’d really appreciate it 🙂
Quick Salmon Fish Cake Recipe
A quick and easy Salmon Fish Cake recipe. Very tasty and perfect for a starter, lunch or a main meal.
- 500 grams potatoes
- 2 Salmon Fillets
- 100 grams Sun Dried Tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsb basil
- 1 lime
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 eggs
- 6 tbsp plain flour
- 100 grams breadcrumbs
- Peel and cut the potatoes in quarters and place them in a pan of water. Cook these until they are soft and mashable but still lumpy.
- Season the salmon fillets with some salt and place in a pan of hot oil. If there is skin place it skin down.
- Cook for 5 minutes until turning and cooking for an additional 5 minutes or until cook. You want the salmon to be cooked and flaky
- Flake the salmon into a bowl and add chopped sun dried tomatoes
- Chop 2 garlic cloves into fine slices and add these to the bowl along with the Oregano, Parsley and the Basil.
- Zest 1 lime and add this to the bowl along with the lime juice
- The potatoes should be now done. Mash it to a lump consistency and add it to the salmon mixture
- Add the tomato ketchup and give everything a good stir to combine.
- With your hands take out a ball of the mixture and rotate in your hand to form a ball
- Flatten 2 sides to give it that “Fish Cake” Shape
- Repeat until you have used all of the mixture
- In 3 plates place the whisked egg, flour and breadcrumbs
- Dip the salmon fish cakes into the egg and flour
- Dip again into the egg followed by the flour and finally put in the breadcrumbs to cover
- Repeat the above two steps until all fish cakes are covered in breadcrumbs
- Heat some oil in a frying pan and cook the fish cakes for 5 minutes on either side until the are cooked and browned.
- Calories: 381
- Sugar: 6.7
- Sodium: 219.8
- Fat: 15.5
- Saturated Fat: 3.6
- Carbohydrates: 34
- Fiber: 4.2
- Cholesterol: 94.4