I find scallops amazing, they make the most perfect starter. Scallops are great as I find they taste amazing but also many of the dish look excellent, you can really impress your dinner guests.
This Scallop starter is actually fairly easy to do and doesn’t take too much time.
- 6 Scallops
- 2 Shallots
- olive oil
- 200 g of Frozen garden peas
- 100 ml of milk
- 6 Pieces of Streaky Bacon
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- Pre-heat Oven at around 180-200 degrees
- Put a bit of oil into a saucepan and once hot sweat the shallots until they are soft but not coloured
- Add the Milk, garden peas and a pinch of salt
- Allow this to simmer for around 10 minutes
- Drain the milk from the peas and put the peas into a blender
- Blend the peas until its a puree, add milk to get the constancy you want
- Allow this to cool, the quicker it cools the greener it will be
- Cover a baking tray with non stick parchment and place 6 rashers of streaky bacon
- Season with a bit of salt and put in the oven until cooked and crispy
- Add a little oil to a frying pan and add a spoon of olive oil
- Add the scallops and cook on one side until its golden, this usually takes a couple of minutes
- Add a little butter and turn the scallops over to cook the other side
- Ensure the scallops are fully cooked
* Get a plate and spoon the pea puree into 3 spots
* Place a scallop on top of each drop of pea puree
* Place the streaky bacon in between
You could dress the plate up even more with a nice bit of chilli on top of the scallops or some edible flowers.
I personally find this a great starter and can really be impressive if you are cooking for dinner guests!
If you do make it, please let me know what you think below in the comments 🙂