Poached Duck Eggs and Asparagus
Rach’s parents brought us some duck eggs round and I wanted to make Rach a nice mid-week meal which consisted of a nice starter and a tasty main. Since it was a mid-week meal I didn’t want it to take too long to cook, as we had both just been to work all day.
This is what made me think about this poached Duck eggs and asparagus recipe, it’s a very quick starter to do and tastes very nice. It’s a great starter to do as a romantic meal or if cooking for dinner guests, it looks nice but also doesn’t fill you up to much (so theres plenty of room for that lovely main!)
This starter did use a duck egg to poached, however you can use other eggs if you prefer. You will just need to adjust the time that it’s being poached for. The first thing I did was placed two saucepans of water onto the hob and turned on the heat.
In one of the saucepans add a good amount of salt. For the poached egg I followed the method of using ramekins, as I find this method very easy and have not had a bad result. (I previously did a tutorial on this which can be found here: http://amateurchef.wpengine.com/how-to-poach-an-egg/)
Whilst waiting for water to heat up I made a quick vinaigrette. In a bowl place a good 3 tablespoons of olive oil and combine this with 1 teaspoon of mustard and roughly 2 teaspoon of white wine vinegar.
I gave this all a good mix until fully combined and then added some black pepper for additional seasoning. Once both saucepans are simmering place the asparagus into the saucepan that has been salted and poach the egg(s) in the other one. For duck eggs I poached them for 4-5 minutes as they were large, where as other eggs I usually do them for 3-4 minutes. (ensure the eggs are cooked to your liking before eating)
Plating Poached Duck Egg and Asparagus
I divided up the asparagus and roughly placed them on the plate at different angles and pointing in different directions so it looked more random. Place the Duck Egg on the top and then sparingly spoon the vinaigrette over the egg and asparagus. Finally garnish the dish with some parmesan cheese and serve…Yummy!!!
I love poached eggs and really like this easy starter recipe, I find it perfect for a nice romantic meal or if cooking for guests. Its very quick to make and it can look really nice on the plate! Let me know in the comments below if you make it and what you think 🙂Print
- 2 Duck eggs
- 8 Asparagus
- 3 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon of Mustard
- 2 Teaspoon of White Wine Vinegar
- Parmesan cheese
- Salt & Pepper to season
- Put two saucepans of water onto the hob on a high heat and put salt into one of the saucepans
- Whilst the saucepans are heating up get a bowl and place 3 tablespoons of olive oil into the bowl
- Prepare the poached egg – follow this guide to learn how to poach an egg: http://www.improvemystyle.co.uk/how-to-poach-an-egg/
- Combine 1 teaspoon of mustard and 2 teaspoons of white wine vinegar with the olive oil and season with black pepper
- Once water is shimmering add the asparagus in the salted water
- Drop the egg into the other saucepan for 3-5 minutes depending on how you like your poached egg.
- Once cooked place the asparagus onto a plate and top with the poached egg.
- Sparingly spoon vinaigrette over the egg and asparagus
- Garnish with parmesan cheese