A couple of weeks ago Rach’s parents came for dinner, I wanted to do a tasty 3 course dinner. For starter I decided to do a nice stuffed mushrooms so I spent some time having a think about what to stuff it with.
I didn’t want to do the usual blue cheese, even though that does taste incredible! Rach and I have been eating a lot of spinach recently so thought that would make a good stuffing and what goes well with the cheese…tomatoes.
I really love the sun dried tomatoes you can get for antipasti so thought that would make a great addition. This pizza stuffed mushroom is incredibly easy to do, tastes great and can be made ahead of time and then cooked in the oven when ready to eat.
The first thing I did was pre-cooked the spinach and onions, these were put into a large wok to wilt down with a few sprays of frylight to make it a lighter option. Whilst the spinach was wilting and the onions were cooking I got the 4 large Portobello mushrooms and took the centre out and peeled away the skin.
Once the spinach has wilted it’s important to try and press as much of the water out as possible, it gets very watery and along with the mushrooms this can make this starter a little too liquidy. When you have drained as much water out of the spinach as possible place it to one side to allow to cool down.
Whilst the spinach is cooling down I opened up the pack of sun dried tomatoes and cut them into smaller pieces, roughly 0.5-1 cm in length. Once these have been cut and the spinach has cooled put them together into a bowl and make sure the tomatoes, onion and spinach is all mixed together.
On a baking tray place the 4 Portobello mushrooms and fill with the spinach mixture, try and get plenty of the mixture into all of the mushrooms. Once each has been filled cover the top of them with plenty of grated cheese.
Pop in the oven at 170-180 degrees and cook until the cheese has melted and started to brown, you should be able to see that the mushroom has also cooked and become softer. This will take around 20-30 minutes depending on the heat of the oven.
Once cooked place on your plates and serve…yummy!!Print
Pizza Stuffed Mushrooms
Stuffed mushrooms make a great starter or even something to snack on. I wanted to try and bring the taste of a pizza into a stuffed mushroom and the sun dried tomatoes really help!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Side
- 1 Bag of Spinach
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 5–10 chopped sun dried tomatoes
- 4 Portobello Mushrooms
- 200 g grated cheese
- Pre-Heat oven at 170 degrees
- Place the spinach and onions into a large saucepan or wok with a few sprays of fry light
- Cook for 10-15 minutes until the spinach has wilted
- Drain as much water out of the spinach as possible and allow to cool
- In the meantime take the core out of the mushrooms and remove the skin
- chop the sun-dried tomatoes into roughly 0.5-1cm pieces
- Combine the tomatoes with the spinach and onion, mix until fully combined
- Spoon the spinach mixture into the centre of the mushrooms and top with grated cheese
- Place the mushrooms onto a baking tray and cook for 20-30 minutes or until cheese has melted and started to brown.
- Calories: 245
- Sugar: 3.5
- Sodium: 389.5
- Fat: 17.4
- Saturated Fat: 9.8
- Carbohydrates: 8.8
- Fiber: 2.7
- Protein: 15.5
- Cholesterol: 51