Chocolate Poached Pear
Poached Pear to me has always been a elegant look dessert, it’s usually sat in the middle of the plate or bowl, it doesn’t need anything fancy around it as it’s the star of the show. This is why I wanted to make a tasty poached pear for the ending of a 3 course dinner for Rach and her parents.
One of the reasons I like Poached Pear is that it’s actually very easy to do and doesn’t take very much time to make. The important thing to do is make sure what you’re poaching the pear in has plenty of flavour and isn’t too bland.
I like to poach the pear in apple juice and then add some additional spices to give it that little extra flavour. Whilst the pear was poaching I was already imagining what it would look like on the plate and that’s when I thought about covering the pear in chocolate and letting it set.
The addition of a good quality chocolate adds a nice contrast to the dessert. The pear is nice and soft, whereas the chocolate is hard and has a nice snap to it. The first thing I did was peeled the skin from the 4 pears and placed these in a saucepan with the sugar and apple juice.
I wanted to add a little extra spice and love the addition of star anise and cinnamon, it gives it a nice taste and reminded me of christmas 🙂 I left the pears poaching in the saucepan until they were soft enough to put a knife through, these were then taken off the heat and removed from the water until cooled.
Whilst the pear is cooling I melted the chocolate in a dish over boiling water. Once all of the chocolate has melted, I covered the pears with the cooled chocolate and placed them in the fridge to fully cool and allow the chocolate to set. I served this on a plate with some yogurt….yummy!!Print
- 4 Pears (Peeled)
- 400 ml of apple juice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 200 g Sugar
- 3 star anise
- 200 g of chocolate
- Put the pears into a saucepan and cover with the apple juice. If the pears are not completely submerged then top up with water or additional apple juice
- Add the sugar, cinnamon and star anise
- Put onto a medium to simmer until the pears are poached, take off the heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile melt the chocolate in a bowl over simmering water
- Once the chocolate has melted, pour the chocolate over the pears until they are completely covered
- Place them back into the fridge and allow the chocolate to set