Both Rach and I have been to the Greek islands a couple of times, it was in Kos that I proposed. The greek people have always been so friendly and welcoming. I was looking through holiday pics and it reminded me of going to Greece so got me wanting to make something that was Greek.
I decided to give Chicken Gyros a go, I was originally going to do it for an evening meal but as the chicken needs time to marinate and I didn’t give it enough I made it for lunch the following day. In a large bowl I mixed together the ingredients for the marinade which was the fat free yogurt, 1 tablespoon of oil, ground garlic granules and the juice of 2 limes.
In this I placed the 4 chicken breasts and gave them a good mix to ensure they were fully covered and placed in the fridge to absorb all the flavours. As I was making it for lunch the next day I did leave it overnight to marinate, which did result in the chicken taking on the yogurt and lime taste…it was amazing!
Nothing beats a nice homemade tzatziki to go along with the gyros, you could just buy some store bought but why bother when you can make your own easily. The first step is to get the cucumber and remove the skin, cut in half along the length and remove all of the seeds, once done grate the cucumber into a fine mesh and allow to sieve into a bowl overnight in the fridge.
In another bowl add the yogurt, garlic, olive oil and lemon juice into a bowl and mix it together. Once fully combined pop into the fridge again overnight. The following day I took the chicken out of the bowl and placed it on a griddle pan to cook on both sides. The time it takes does depend on the heat you have it on, I cooked it for roughly 30 minutes as wanted to make sure it was fully cooked. Before taking off the heat make sure it is cooked and all juices run clear.
Typically the Chicken Gyros does come in a flatbread, however I didn’t have any so replaced this with a wrap which I do think worked just as well. Lay the wrap down and put a layer of iceberg lettuce, cut the chicken breasts though the middle so you have two halves of the same thickness and place in the middle of the wrap. Sprinkle some tomatoes and chopped cucumber around the chicken, red onion also works well as an addition.
Take the grated cucumber out of the fridge and mix with the yogurt mixture until all combined and spoon some of this onto the chicken, wrap up and enjoy!! If I did have this as an evening meal then I think i’d serve it with a nice portion of sweet potato chips.Print
Chicken Gyros are a tasty lunch, combining salad, grilled chicken and fresh wraps.
- 400 g Fat Free Greek Yogurt
- 3 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon ground garlic
- 2 Limes
- 4 Chicken Breasts
- 1 Large cucumber
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Garlic Clove
- Half Iceberg Lettuce
- 2 Large Tomatoes
- 4 Wraps
- In a bowl place 200g of the fat free yogurt and mix with 1 tablespoon of oil, jucei of 2 limes and the ground garlic
- Add the chicken breasts and mix until fully covered, place the marinade into the fridge overnight
- Skin the 2 3rds of the cucumber and cut lengthways. Grate the cucumber into a fine mesh with a bowl under and leave in the fridge overnight to strain the water from the cucumber
- In the final bowl add the remaining 200g of yoghurt, juice of 1 lime, crushed garlic and the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Mix together and place in the fridge overnight.
- The next day remove the chicken from the fridge and cook on a griddle pan, until cooked and juices run clear.
- Place a wrap and put a layer of iceberg lettuce on the wrap
- Slice the chicken and place on the wrap along with cubed tomatoes and cucumber.
- Mix the yogurt mixture with the grated cucumber from the fridge and pour a couple of tablespoons onto the chicken
- Wrap up the wrap and enjoy!
- Calories: 637
- Sugar: 10
- Sodium: 521.7
- Fat: 30.3
- Saturated Fat: 6.7
- Carbohydrates: 39.9
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 52.5
- Cholesterol: 111.4