I finished work and was in the mood to bake something, id wanted to try a carrot cake for some time so thought why not! I found the original recipe here. I did add a few more walnuts and left out the ginger.
- 250 ml sunflower oil
- 225 g light muscovado sugar
- 300 g self-raising flour
- 200 g grated carrots
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 25 g Icing Sugar
- 250 g Full Fat Cheese
- Put oven on to 180/160 fan which is gas mark 4
- Grease x2 20 cm round deep cake tins with butter
- Place oil, eggs and brown sugar into a large mixing bowl and blend until fully mixed together, lighter and a little thicker in consistency
- Fold in the grated carrots
- Once folded stir in flour, baking powder, mixed spice and walnuts until well blended.
- Place half the mixture into one cake tin and the remaining half into the other
- Put into the oven and bake for around 35 minutes or until brown. Put a fork through the centre, if it comes out clear its ready.
- Place on a wrack to cool
- Place butter, icing sugar and cheese into a bowl and whisk until mixed and smooth
- Spread half the cream on the top of one of the cakes and place the other cake on top
- Pour remaining cream on the top and decorate with remaining Walnuts
What Did The Carrot Cake Taste Like?
The cake was very nice, I have not had that many carrot cakes to be able to compare it to but the feed back I have gotten from others was that it was tasty. The cake itself was very light, which to me makes me less guilty when eating it! Next time I think I would prefer to have cut the walnuts for on the top and sprinkled on instead of placing whole walnuts on it.