Rach and I will often enjoy a nice Stir Fry every so often, often with rice than noodles. Usually we will use chicken or pork, this time however I wanted a nice beef stir fry. Although wanted to give it a nice extra taste and that’s when I thought of making a nice orange sauce, giving the beef an extra flavour.
The first thing I did was chop the onions and heat some oil in a saucepan, once the oil was hot I placed the chopped onions and cooked until they were transparent. I then added sliced peppers and chopped broccoli and gave this a good mix and left it to cook on a medium heat, stirring often to ensure it didn’t stick.
Whilst the vegetables are cooking I then wanted to brown off the beef to ensure it was cooked. In another saucepan place the beef along with some oil and cook until it’s browned, once it has take it off the heat. In a bowl mix the zest of 1 orange and the juice of one orange, add 2 tablespoon of soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of honey and 2 garlic gloves minced.
Put this sauce into into the same pan that the beef was cooked in and cooked until it has reduced into a thicker sauce. Once this was done I added the beef with the vegetables and poured in the sauce, giving it a good mix until it was all coated with the sauce.
Now is the perfect time to start doing the rice, place it into a saucepan of hot water and boil until the rice is cooked. Spoon the rice onto a plate, top with the stir fry and drizzle any remaining sauce over the top. Now it’s time to enjoy!!
I really enjoyed this dish as found it really gave the beef and the vegetables a little extra flavour, it is however important not to put too much orange in as it can become a little overpowering. Depending on how you like your vegetables, you may want to adjust the cooking time.
I prefer them to not have too much crunch so tend to cook them until soft, if you do like that crunch then cook them for a little less. In terms of the beef I did use beef stir fry strips but if you want some extra flavour then id recommend cooking a couple of sirloin steaks and slicing these up, again cooking to make sure it’s fully browned off on either side.Print
I love stir fry, its perfect for a quick evening meal. The orange does give it an extra flavour which really makes it stand out a bit
- olive oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Red Pepper sliced
- 1 Yellow Pepper Sliced
- 1 Broccoli chopped
- 375 G Beef Strips
- Zest of 1 orange
- Juice of 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons of Soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 2 garlic cloved minced
- Hand full of Basmati rice
- On a saucepan add oil and heat, once hot add the chopped onions and stir until transparent
- Add the sliced peppers and broccoli and continue to cook on a medium heat, continuing to stir to avoid sticking to the pan.
- In another saucepan add the beef and continue to cook until its been browned all over and take off the heat
- In a bowl mix the zest of 1 orange with the juice of the orange, add the soy sauce, honey and the garlic.
- Place the sauce in a saucepan and reduce until thick
- Stir in the beef with the vegetables and then add the sauce and mix until everything is coated with the sauce
- Boil some rice in a saucepan and when cooked put rice on a plate and top with the stri fry, drizzle any remaining sauce over the top
- Calories: 802
- Sugar: 32.6
- Sodium: 1065.9
- Fat: 24
- Saturated Fat: 5.8
- Carbohydrates: 99.5
- Fiber: 10.8
- Protein: 53.1
- Cholesterol: 118.1