Chilli Lime Chicken Recipe
I love this chilli Lime Chicken recipe and find that it can be very versatile, although I do find that chicken on its own can be a little bland. I recently did a fillet of Salmon that was marinated, which got me wanting to look into making a nice marinade for chicken.
I love the taste of lime and really think it adds a great taste to the chicken, along with the mint. The Red chilli gives it that little kick but really doesn’t make it over powering. You want to make this ahead of time as you want to give it a good hour to marinate ideally, if you can give it a good day to marinate or even overnight as this will cause all those flavours to go into the chicken.
In a bowl place the Olive oil and then get the lime and first grate the lime zest into the bowl and once all of the lime has been grated, squeeze all of the lime juice into it as well. The red chilli then wants to be deseeded and finely chopped. I am not the best with spice so I chose to leave the seeds out, if you want a little extra bang then you could try it with the seeds.
If you dont have a fresh red chilli, you could substitute it with chilli flakes. Add the chopped chilli to the bowl with some finely chopped garlic, I love garlic and find it goes well with the lime. You want a couple of mint springs, take the leaves of these and then finely chop them and add to the bowl. Give everything a really good mix to make sure that it’s all mixed together.
Place the chicken into a baking dish and pour the marinade over the chicken, make sure you try to cover all of the chicken with the marinade – dont be afraid to get your hands dirty! 🙂 (just make sure you wash them after touching the chicken!!!)
Leave this to marinate in the fridge. If you have the skin on the chicken then when you are ready to cook I would suggest pan frying the skin to help crisp it up a little to begin with. This doesn’t take long, usually around 5-10 minutes depending on the heat.
I then put the chicken into a pre-heated oven at around 170 degrees and cooked the chicken in the marinade for about 30 minutes. Check that it is cooked by making sure all juices run clear.
I served the chicken with some nice sweet potato chips and a little salad, I would recommend using another lime and sprinkling a little of the lime juice over the chicken to give it that little extra lime kick! I do hope you liked this chicken recipe, please do let me know what you think in the comments below 🙂
- 3 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 2 Limes
- 1 Red chilli
- 4 Chicken Thighs
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Sprigs of Mint
- In a bowl place the olive oil
- Zest 1 lime into the bowl and add the juice from the lime
- Deseed and finely chop the red chilli and garlic, add to the bowl
- Take the mint leaves from the sprigs and finely chop, add this to the bowl
- Stir everything in the bowl to fully combine
- Place the Chicken thighs in a oven dish and pour the bowl over to ensure fully covered
- Put the chicken in the fridge and allow it to marinate for 30-60 minutes
- Once it’s marinated place in a hot pan, skin down.
- Pre-heat oven at 170 Degrees
- Fry to crisp the skin on the thigh, roughly 5-10 minutes
- Once the skin is crispy place back with the marinade and put in the oven for 30 minutes or until cooked and juices run clear
- Once you plate the chicken cut the remaining lime into wedges and squeeze a little juice over the chicken.